All levels require pink or skin tone tights (convertible feet preferred) and matching shoes (pink with pink, skin tone with skin tone). Hair must be worn off the neck in a neat bun or ponytail. No jewelry other than stud-type earrings.
For the dancer’s safety, teachers will ask students to watch class if they are not dressed appropriately.
Colors by Level: Level ages are approximate. Levels are determined by the director and instructional staff and may be adjusted from year to year to meet the needs of our students.
- Grown Up and Me (18 months-3 years): Comfortable clothing
- Creative Movement (3 & 4 years old): Light Pink
- Beginner Ballet (5 & 6 years old): Lavender
- Dance Fundamentals (7 & 8 years old): Light Green
- Intermediate (9 & 10 years old): Light Blue
- Junior (11 & 12 years old): Royal Blue
- Recreational/College/Adult: Any
- Apprentice (by invitation): Navy
- Company (by invitation): Black
Ballet Attire: In order to participate in class, it is required that students arrive with the proper dance attire, hair style, and shoes. Teachers must be able to see that the student’s alignment is correct. Students are required to wear a leotard or fitted tee in their designated class color, tights and ballet shoes. Hair in a bun. Skirts, shorts or sweaters can be worn only with the permission of the instructor.
Tap/Jazz/Contemporary Class Attire: We ask that you wear a leotard and tights under shorts, jazz pants, or leggings for class.
- Jazz/Musical Theatre: pull-on skin tone jazz shoes
- Tap: pull-on black tap shoes
- Contemporary/Modern/Yoga: bare feet or technique shoes
- Ballet: pink or skin tone technique shoes
HDT has set up dress codes for purchase at the following websites where proper leotard styles and level colors are available, as well as the required shoes.
Discount Dance Supply:
HDT Code: TP105809
Eurotard (all purchases benefit Backstage Bodywear):
205 W Washington St, Charleston, WV 25302